Energy Assistance

How We Help

CAP Agency’s Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps eligible households maintain affordable, continuous and safe home energy. Our services include bill payment assistance, home energy crisis intervention, outreach, energy advocacy, information about utility consumer rights, and referrals.

2019-2020 EAP Participants

Please take a moment to fill out this survey regarding your experience with the program.  Thank you!

How Do I Get Started

Energy Assistance provides funds to help pay costs associated with heat and electricity. Funds are sent directly to the vendor.

Am I eligible?

An Energy Assistance  application is used for determining eligibility for all components of EAP. Households must apply by June 1 to receive assistance. Households must occupy the residence for which the Energy Assistance benefits are being applied, and meet the household income guidelines.  This application is only for residents of Minnesota.

2019-2020 Income Eligibility Guidelines

Household Size 3-Month Gross Household Income
1 $6,761
2 $8,842
3 $10,923
4 $13,003
5 $15,084
 6 $17,164

For larger household guidelines, visit:

How do I apply?
Applications for Energy Assistance are accepted from October 1 to June 1. Applications for the 2019-2020 Energy Assistance will be mailed to households who previously received Energy Assistance. Households who have not previously applied for Energy Assistance can request or print Energy Assistance applications below.

You are required to submit the following:

  • Fully completed application
  • Three previous months proof of any and all household income (pay stubs for wages, benefit award letter for social security, etc.). Please see the table below.
  • If no income, Verification of Income and Expense form

Energy Related Repair (ERR)

ERR funds are available to help correct “no heat” or malfunctioning heating systems for owner-occupied homes. Individuals must be eligible for Energy Assistance. Please call 651-322-3500 option 1 for more information.

Energy Crisis Assistance

For those who currently receive Energy Assistance, Energy Crisis Assistance is available for emergency situations, such as disconnection or shut-offs notice, or delivery of fuel for tanks with less than 20% capacity. Please call 651-322-3500 option 1 for more information.

Please Note: We process applications in the order that they are received and it may take up to 90 days. During that time, contact your energy provider to schedule a reasonable payment plan. If you are facing a disconnection, or are already disconnected, please call 651-322-3500 option 1 to speak with an Energy Assistance associate.


Translate »