Dakota Housing Options


The Scott Carver Dakota CAP Agency Housing Services helps people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.  Our goal is to provide resources for people to maintain existing housing or secure new housing.   Assistance includes short or long-term housing services intended to help clients stabilize their situation and become self-sufficient.

Dakota County – Family Homeless Prevention Assistance Program (FHPAP)

  • Helps with damage deposits or first month’s rent for eligible individuals
  • Provides resources for housing search
  • Assists with current rent

Am I eligible?

  • Dakota County resident, single adults or youth (18-21), without minor children living in the home
  • At risk of becoming homeless
  • Monthly net income that is at or below 200% of federal poverty guideline and be able to support the monthly rent going forward (proof of income from all sources is required)

How do I apply?

Please call 651-322-3500 for more information

You are required to provide the following:

  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of income
  • Proof of expenses

Dakota County Homeless Assistance

If you are homeless and in Dakota County, contact Dakota County’s Coordinated Assessment for assistance.  For more information, please call 651-554-5751 or visit www.co.dakota.mn.us – search”housing”.

CAP Agency Mainstream Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers

CAP Agency has 50 mainstream Housing Choice Vouchers in Dakota County.  Vouchers enable head of household individuals with disabilities to lease affordable, private housing of their choice.  CAP Agency maintains a waiting list for this program.

Currently our waiting list is CLOSED.  Please check back periodically to see if our waiting list is open.

CAP Housing Units

CAP Agency owns and manages 41 affordable housing units for individuals and families with low and moderate incomes who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless . Units are located in South St. Paul, Burnsville and Savage.  Participants pay 30% of their income towards rent.  Supportive services are offered to help with goals and resources toward self-sufficiency.

Vacancies in CAP housing units are filled through Dakota County’s Coordinated Assessment.  For more information, please call 651-554-5751 or visit www.co.dakota.mn.us – search”housing”.


Dakota County Community Development Agency (CDA)
Section 8, Public Housing and other housing assistance programs.  Please visit the CDA’s site to review the best housing option for your situation: http://www.dakotacda.org/renters.htm

South St. Paul Housing Redevelopment Authority (HRA)
Section 8, Public Housing and other housing assistance programs.  Please visit the HRA’s site to review the best housing option for your situation: http://www.ssphra.org

125 Third Avenue North, South St. Paul, MN 55075
Phone: 651-554-3270
Email: info@ssphra.org

A housing resource site dedicated for rental unit search: http://www.housinglink.org/Home.aspx 

Housing Benefits 101:  http://mn.hb101.org/


Translate »